The Zabriko Project
Susan Lea Smith
- LISTEN: 85% of the guns owned in the US are NOT semi-automatics–we don’t want them banned!
- Paranoid prophets of apocalypse preach the need for firepower
- Video: Biden’s Fireside Hangout on Gun Violence Proposals
- Video Now is the Time Obama announces gun violence recommendations and actions
- The Beloved Community
- More irrational gun arguments — otherwise known as more fancy lies
- Martin Luther King Jr. would have been in the forefront of the battle for strong gun controls
- Senior pastor of Riverside Church, Rev. James Forbes, celebrates discussion of gun violence occurring in wake of Sandy Hook shootings
- Vatican praises Obama Gun Control Proposals
The meaning of life
We each find our own answer. My answer is bringing the kingdom of heaven closer to earth, by serving as two of the hands of God. My special passion is water, sanitation, and health promotion in developing countries -- and my legal scholarship, teaching, and service now reflect this passion.
For four years, I have had the privilege to work with the Mouvman Peyizan Papay, MPP or the Peasant Movement of Papay, as they develop water, sanitation, and health promotion projects in the Central Plateau of Haiti.
But this blog is not devoted to that work. Instead, it shares my reflections on the remarkable experiences that I'm having as I watch the people of rural Haiti build a better life. They are remarkable people with amazing faith, joy, and hope in the future. They are astonishingly resilient in the face of difficulties.
Others stand in solidarity with them. Some spend their entire lives trying to help the Haitian people build lives of simple dignity. Some, like me, are laborers hired in the late afternoon.
I honor both the Haitian poor and those who truly seek to assist them. And I deeply reject the self-serving agendas of people and nations who treat Haiti as just a play toy and the people of Haiti as objects to be used for their own selfish purposes.
I treasure every day I am able to spend here. Each day is rich and meaningful. This is life!